How to Clean & Care for Silver Jewelry & Flatware
With the extremely high price of gold, many people are turning to silver as a beautiful and affordable alternative metal for jewelry. Silver care is tricky and your jewelry can easily tarnish without the proper care. Our number one priority at Blitz is to keep your silver jewelry & flatware shimmering like new. Follow these simple tips to keep your silver looking brand new all day, every day.
Storing silver or sterling silver in the open air and humidity for extended periods of time can often cause it to tarnish quickly. The best way to keep silver jewelry tarnish free is to keep it in a dark, dry place.
Never clean silver with silver dip that contains ammonia or acidified thiourea. These chemicals are highly toxic and if jewelry is accidentally left in this mixture too long, layers will quickly be eaten away resulting in permanent damage.
DO NOT clean your silver with toothpaste! Toothpaste is highly abrasive! Many websites suggest cleaning silver this way however as leaders in the jewelry & metal care industry, we strongly adivse you to use a professional polish like non-toxic Blitz Silver Care Polish; for lighter tarnish try a phosphate-free dishwashing soap.
How to Remove Tarnish:
- To clean, rub silver surface firmly with inner cloth to loosen tarnish. Heavily tarnished areas may require several applications.
- To polish, buff silver surface lightly with outer, non-treated cloth to remove tarnish and restore shine.
- Shake well. Apply Silver Jewelry Polish liberally with a soft cloth or sponge. Allow the polish to sit for 1-2 minutes. Rub the surface of the silver gently in a circular motion to loosen the tarnish. Please keep in mind that heavily tarnished items may require more than one application.
- To polish, use a lint free and non-abrasive cloth to buff the surface in a circular motion.
SilverShine™ Silver Jewelry Cleaner or Silver Ultrasonic Cleaning Kit
Our liquid silver care comes with a metal activator tray that is crucial in removing tarnish from silver items. These solutions are 100% non-toxic.
SilverShine™ Silver Jewelry Cleaner
- Remove contents from jar and separate metal trays. Place one tray into removable basket and lower into jar.
- Open activator solution and empty into the jar, followed by 6 oz of water. Allow to stand for five minutes or until bubbles form on the tray.
- Place jewelry on the submerged tray / basket. Allow your jewelry to sit for 15 seconds or until tarnish has been transferred to the tray.
- Remove, rinse, and dry with a lint free, non-abrasive cloth.
If you are using our Activator Kit for your Ultrasonic Machine:
- Place the tray into the ultrasonic machine.
- Repeat steps 2 -4 above. Turn your ultrasonic machine on while jewelry is submerged to expedite the process.
DO NOT LEAVE JEWELRY SUBMERGED FOR LONGER THAN 30 SECONDS